Overview

On March 6, 1836, 189 Texians and Tejanos gave their lives at the Alamo for Texas liberty.

In 2011, the Texas Legislature tasked the Texas General Land Office with management and preservation of the Alamo and today, it remains under the custodianship of Commissioner George P. Bush.

The effort to preserve and restore the Alamo began in 2015 and has undergone intense debate and discussion. In January of 2019, Alamo Plaza was finally reunified with the Alamo Church and Long Barrack, and efforts began to reclaim the historic 1836 Battlefield.

The story of the Alamo is world renowned and represents the core of Texas’ identity today. The ongoing effort to restore dignity and reverence to the Alamo is underway. 

Restore Reverence

Memorialize those who lived, fought and died at the Alamo

Immediately following the reunification of the 1836 battlefield, steps were taken to remove 21st century distractions from the historic mission footprint to pay respect to all those who lived, fought, and died at the Alamo.

Already, the continuous protests, street preachers, and political gatherings have been moved to a more respectful area off the battlefield, allowing visitors to better understand and remember the enormous sacrifice the Defenders made.

As the Alamo Plan continues to be implemented, additional measures will be taken to continue to restore reverence and dignity to one of the most historic sites in Texas history.

Additionally, security measures have been increased, protecting the Alamo Church, Long Barrack, and visitors from potential threats to the Texas icon through the installation of security bollards.

Restore the 1836 Battlefield Footprint

Allow visitors to learn about history where it happened, the way it happened

The Alamo sits at the heart of the City of San Antonio. As the once small town grew into a thriving city around the Alamo, portions of the historic 1836 Battlefield gave way to concrete and skyscrapers.

History tells us that there were once large stone walls that surrounded the Alamo battlefield, creating a frontier fortress. There were acequias to bring in water, a southern gate, lodgings for soldiers and a headquarters where Col. William Barret Travis wrote his famous letter calling for reinforcements. But today, the Alamo Church and Long Barrack are the only two buildings that remain from the battle in 1836. The rest has been lost to history, lost to the growth of San Antonio or simply lost all together.

Currently, when visitors approach Alamo Plaza many mistakenly assume that the Battle of 1836 was fought only inside the Alamo Church, due to the build up of the city around the historic structure. Since May 2021, the portion fo Alamo Street that runs infront of the Alamo Church has been closed to vehicular traffic. Still open to pedestrian traffic, this helps to improve the visitor experience with cars no longer running through the historic battlefield footprint. The Alamo Plan also calls for the closure of Alamo Street from Commerce to Peacock Alley, and Houston from Losoya to 3rd St and Crockett from Alamo Street to Bonham serving to further delineate the battlefield and restore dignity and reverence to the sacred ground where the Alamo Defenders shed blood.

Map of modern day San Antonio built across the Alamo Battleground
A modern day San Antonio built across the Alamo Battleground
Map of Alamo as it appeared during the 1836 siege
The Alamo as it appeared during the siege of 1836

Preserve the Last Remaining Structures

Long Barrack and Alamo Church, front view

Rising damp from the limestone foundation has led to deterioration of the Alamo Church walls, causing pieces of the stone walls to flake off and crumble, accelerating the deterioration of the historic building.

The preservation and conservation of the sole remaining structures from the Battle of 1836 is our top priority. This is why we have brought in a world class team to preserve and conserve the two remaining buildings before they are lost completely.

Most excavation units have been backfilled and the moisture/temperature monitors are in place. These will enable preservationists to recommend remedies for the preservation of each area of the Church. Borescope inspections help us pinpoint voids and concerns with stones inside the walls. We are completing cleaning protocols for the Long Barrack walls. 

Construction of a World-Class Museum and Visitor Center to Honor the Shrine of Texas Liberty

We are re-examining concepts for the Visitors Center and Museum in light of the cenotaph vote. We are also working to develop conventional and creative fundraising ideas. We are working with the City of San Antonio on a similar effort involving their desire to pursue new design concepts for exhibits on Alamo Plaza. In that context, we opened an 18-pounder/Losoya House temporary exhibit at the site of the Alamo defenders’ largest cannon in early 2021. 
 
We are also quickly moving forward on design concepts for the Alamo Exhibition Hall and Collections Building behind Alamo gardens and off the historic footprint. The facility will not affect historic structures. It will house all of the Alamo artifacts, Alamo Collection and Phil Collins Collection, under one roof. It will also feature an exhibition space that will serve as museum until the proposed Visitor Center and Museum can be built. 

Current Requests for Services - Architecture and Engineering for the new Visitor Center and Museum

The Alamo Trust is currently requesting letters of interest and a statement of qualifications for architecture and engineering services for the new Visitor Center and Museum. A pre-submission meeting will be held via Zoom on Wednesday, July 8. Questions are due via email by June 30, 2021 at 5 p.m. Addenda will be issued as needed to all responders prior to video conference call. The submittal shall be limited to 75-100 pages of printed information, whether single sided or double sided, 10 copies and one electronic copy must be submitted and received in the Alamo Trust, Inc. office on or before July 22, 2021 at 3 p.m. Please review amendment No. 1 to the RFQ here and amendment to the RFQ No. 2 here.