Alamo volunteers often serve as the face of the Alamo, sharing their passion for Texas history with 1.6 million visitors annually. They share the 300-year history of the Alamo with visitors and provide a helpful presence throughout the historic buildings and grounds to ensure that guests get the most out of their visit.
Volunteer at the Alamo
Alamo Volunteer Opportunities
Our volunteers participate in many ways to support the Alamo:
- Active Volunteers participate regularly throughout the month as Docents or Living Historians. Our Docents maintain a presence in the historic buildings and on the grounds by answering questions and interacting with our visitors. Our Living Historians use period correct clothing and other commonly used items to help Alamo visitors understand daily life in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Event Volunteers such as military groups, other organizations, Living Historians, etc. can sign up to lend a helping hand on the grounds during special events such as Commemoration.
Become a Volunteer
The Alamo is seeking dedicated individuals to provide meaningful, personal experiences for the 1.6 million visitors who visit the site each year. Our volunteers play a pivotal role in the Alamo’s mission: to preserve the Alamo, the Shrine of Texas Liberty, and bring its own unique story to life – to inspire visitors and honor all those who lived, fought, and died here.
- Opportunity to interact with people from all over the world
- Academic or community credit
- Invitations to employee events and exhibit openings
- Volunteer recognition events
- Personal and professional development
In order to become an Alamo volunteer, you:
- Must be 18 or older to volunteer
- Complete an application
- Interview with the Alamo's Volunteer Coordinator to share more about your skills, experience, and interests
- Complete a background check
- Attend volunteer orientation and training
- If applying as an Active volunteer; commit to at least 12 hours per month
New Volunteer Training is held in January, April, July and October.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email our Volunteer Coordinator. Thank you for your interest!