Visiting a popular outdoor site in the heart of downtown can seem daunting, but follow our tips below for a better experience. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Alamo Tour Program Coordinator on 210-225-1391 ext. 4005, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make Your Field Trip Run Like Clockwork!
The Alamo is located at 300 Alamo Plaza in downtown San Antonio, Texas.
To reach the Alamo from U.S. 281/Interstate 37 southbound, exit at Houston Street, turn right, and proceed three blocks to Avenue E, turn left and continue to the intersection of Houston and Alamo Plaza.
From Interstate 37 northbound, exit at Commerce Street, turn left on Commerce and proceed ten blocks to Alamo Plaza, turn right and continue on one and one half blocks. Parking is available at several pay lots in the vicinity of the Alamo.
Buses may unload their passengers at the Houston Street gate, however, buses are not allowed to park in this area.
School and Tour Bus Short-Term Parking Facilities are available nearby. Parking Lot A at the Alamodome is free to buses when there is not a scheduled event. Please call Dome Security at (210) 207-3680 to make a reservation.
Check in with the Alamo Tour Program Coordinator in front of the red Welcome Center in Alamo Plaza upon arrival. You can recognize Alamo staff in their red Alamo polo shirts.
Let the coordinator know the name of your group. The Tour Program Coordinator will provide more information about the Alamo Discovery Tour, audio tours, information on special events, and where to meet your tour guide.
Teachers and chaperones will be given stickers so that our staff can more easily identify groups. Groups that have registered will be given timed entrance tickets to visit the church. You cannot enter the Church without a reservation, so please be sure to register at least two weeks in advance.
Rules of Behavior
Please review the following rules with your students before your visit.
- All students must stay with their chaperones at all times.
- Be respectful of other visitors. Please use quiet voices when inside buildings. Remember, the Church is a memorial to the men who died here on March 6, 1836.
- Help us defend the Alamo! These buildings are more than 250 years old. Please do not touch, lean or write on the walls or display cases.
- Please finish all food and beverages (other than bottled water) before entering any buildings.
- Be sure to get a picture in front of the famous Alamo Church, but please put your phones and cameras away before heading inside. No photography is allowed inside the buildings.
- There are lots of exciting things to see and hear at the Alamo. Please stay safe and use the sidewalks to move around the grounds.
- Please visit the gift shop, but make sure students are accompanied by an adult. Help them ensure they have enough money before checking out and make sure they keep their purchases inside their bags until they have left the Alamo.
- Please contact an Alamo Staff member if you need assistance while on the grounds of the Alamo. We are here to assist you!