The coronavirus (COVID-19) can cause respiratory illness. As always, the health and safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers is the single most important consideration for The Alamo. We are consistently monitoring announcements by officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), State and City of San Antonio. In addition to our usual stringent cleaning and health practices, we are following the steps issued by the CDC to help reduce the spread of the disease.
Measures Designed to Keep You and Our Alamo Staff Healthy
What We Are Doing
- We are closely following CDC, State, and City of San Antonio updates and recommendations and updating our procedures accordingly as needed.
- We have added signage in every restroom indicating the most effective technique to wash hands.
- We have hand sanitizing dispensers and containers of disinfectant wipes throughout the Alamo grounds and work areas.
- Our cleaning staff proactively clean the restrooms once an hour and wipe down surfaces across the site throughout the day. They use cleaning products with 70% alcohol (the CDC recommends at least 60% alcohol).
- We have limited business travel for museum staff, including no international travel.
- We are encouraging staff to stay home if they are sick.
What You Can Do As a Visitor
Follow these recommended preventative actions from the CDC to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw it in the trash.
- Put distance between yourself and other people (6 feet or 2 meters).
The Alamo has no plans to close at this time, however, we will take all precautions necessary to protect visitors, staff, and volunteers. We will continue to monitor the spread of the virus, consult with state and local health experts, and make the most informed decision possible at that time. If we are directed to close by city or state ordinance, we will follow that direction.
Peace of Mind Policy
We want you to feel as comfortable as possible when booking your visit. Any tours that have not been used will be refunded up to 24 hours before the time of the tour, through the email confirmation you received when booking the tour. If you have any questions, please call the Alamo’s Tour Services department 210-293-6078 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope this allows you to continue planning for visits without concerns that your plans may change.