This artifact was recovered from inside the north room of the Long Barrack. This 1937 Quarter may have been lost during one of the construction projects that occurred on the Long Barrack. Due to the amount of wear on the coin, it may have been lost during the installation of the pavers during the late-1960s.
In 1932, the U.S. Mint began production of this type of quarter. The new quarter design was meant to commemorate the 200th anniversary of George Washington’s birth. Unlike present-day quarters, the quarters minted between 1932 and 1964 had a total weight of 6.25 grams. They consisted of .900 silver and .100 copper. The 1937 quarter contained .18084 oz. of pure silver. With the exception of the bicentennial coin, quarters in circulation since 1965 are composed of copper and nickel.