To celebrate, honor and recognize active and former military and their families, the Alamo is proud to host the Inaugural Military Appreciation Family Day on Thursday, November 11, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alamo Plaza and Gardens will be filled with special activities, guest presenters, live music, exhibits and ceremonies.
We are thrilled to partner with local organizations and businesses to provide family fun, access to much-needed resources, and appreciation to San Antonio’s community of veteran, active duty and reserve service members. The event will be free and open to the public.
- Opening Ceremony with wreath-laying, presentation of colors, music, and remarks. Alamo Living History veteran volunteers will close the ceremony with a musket firing. Anyone with sensitivity to loud noises or the sound of gun fire should be aware. A verbal announcement will be provided prior to the demonstration.
- The Alamo is the proud home of the bell which was stationed at Camp Alamo in Afghanistan. The bell will be placed on exhibit in Alamo Hall, along with other artifacts. As guests walk through, a recording of the names of Texas service members lost during Operation Enduring Freedom will be played in remembrance.
- Every service member will be given a commemorative Alamo “Thank you for your Service” pin and free audio tours.
- Military service organizations – both non-profits and government agencies – will set up booths within the Alamo grounds to connect directly with service members and their families, distribute information and facilitate activities (optional). Some confirmed partners include:
- Hero Sports presenting a Cornhole Tournament
- Veteran’s Assistance Dogs
- Soldiers Angels facilitating crafts and card-writing for care packages sent to deployed service members
- Airmen Heritage Training Complex living historians
- Team Red, White & Blue, Veterans’ Land Board, American Legion Post 10, and JBSA Skillbridge.
- Veteran musicians from Soldiers, Songs & Voices (group that provides songwriting and music lessons to veterans) will perform in Cavalry Courtyard.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center Master Model Builder, Kevin Hintz will construct a giant American Flag from over 18,000 LEGO Bricks.
- Visitors can meet the horses from the Army North Caisson Platoon on the Plaza.
- Alamo Living History and Education teams will provide fun, interactive activities for kids such as history demonstrations, make-and-take crafts, access to the Battle of the Alamo LEGO exhibit and play-station, the Young Texans tour, and more.
- Vintage military vehicles will be on display on Alamo Plaza.
All partnerships and activities are subject to change.